Privacy: National Directory of Registered Tax Return Preparers & Tax Professionals, Ltd., the owner of TaxPreparerRegistry.com, respects the privacy of users on the Internet and has developed this privacy statement to protect user privacy on its website. The purpose of this statement is to explain the types of information TaxPreparerRegistry.com obtains about tax professionals listed on this website, how the information is obtained, how it is used, how it may be disclosed to others, and how tax professionals can restrict its use or disclosure.
Personally Identifiable Information: Personally identifiable information of PTIN holders, specifically limited to the name of individual issued a PTIN, business name, mailing address, phone number, business website address, email address, and professional credentials was originally obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. Only the tax professional's name, business address and professional credentials are disclosed in a basic listing format under the FOIA so that users of this website can verify whether their tax professional is registered with the Internal Revenue Service and holds a PTIN. All other information found in a featured listing available for users through our website is supplied voluntarily and knowingly made accessible by the tax professional who has updated his or her professional listing. Tax professionals interacting with our website may add, modify or delete their professional listing on Tax Preparer Registry.com with their name, address, telephone number, email address, website address or other personally identifiable information that TaxPreparerRegistry.com may use for its own business purposes. Tax professionals that update their listing constitute their acceptance that TaxPreparerRegistry.com may share such information with its partners and agents for purposes related to TaxPreparerRegistry.com's products and services, including for the purpose of contacting them via email about products and services that may be of interest to them. Users may visit our website without telling us who they are or revealing any personally identifiable information about themselves.
Using the Information: Personally identifiable information is information about you such as name, postal address, email address, company name, credit card number, birth date, social security number, etc. Generally, we may use your personally identifiable information in the following ways:
1. To communicate with you about your account or the website.
2. To pre-populate online forms for your convenience.
3. To personalize various aspects of the website.
4. To build quality and useful services by analyzing user trends and by measuring demographics and interests.
5. To provide you with prompt and effective customer service.
6. To support the operation of the website (i.e., billing, account maintenance) and troubleshoot.
7. To send you newsletters, promotional messages, product announcements or other communications that we feel may be of interest to you, although you may opt out of receiving these communications (see "Opting Out" below).
8. In other ways that you either expressly consent to or instruct us to undertake.
Disclosing the Information: We may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third parties without asking for explicit consent from you as follows:
1. We will perform research on our end users' demographics, interests, and behavior based on the information we collect, for example during registration, from our server log files and from user surveys. We do this to better understand and serve our users. This research is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis. We may share this aggregated data with current or potential advertisers, business partners, investors and other third parties interested in our business.
2. TaxPreparerRegistry.com does not sell any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. However, if you have not opted out of receiving postal mail from TaxPreparerRegistry.com or third parties, TaxPreparerRegistry.com may rent your name, postal address and phone number to third parties, which the third parties may use one time only to mail you information. These third parties will have no continuing right to use your name or postal address. We do not sell or rent your email addresses to third parties. All emails you receive are deployed directly by TaxPreparerRegistry.com on behalf of third parties.
3. We share website usage information about visitors to the website who have received a targeted email promotional campaign from us with a third-party advertising company for the sole purpose of targeting future email campaigns and upgrading visitor information used in reporting statistics.
4. To allow third parties to provide website features and services. These third parties are not allowed to use personally identifiable information except for the purpose of providing these services.
5. To our contractors, consultants and professional advisors so they can provide a service to us. For example, from time to time we may use third parties to help us collect information about our users. In those cases, we will prohibit the third parties from using the information they collect for any purpose other than providing the service to us.
6. As we believe necessary to comply with the law and protect the rights, property or safety of others.
7. If you engage in illegal activity and we respond to a subpoena, warrant or other court order.
8. In connection with the sale or transfer of TaxPreparerRegistry.com or substantially all of its assets, we will share your data with the acquiring party or transferee.
9. Due to circumstances beyond our control.
Opting Out: As part of the registration process, you will supply us with your postal address, phone number and email address, and you will be registered to receive periodic communications from TaxPreparerRegistry.com or from other reputable companies affiliated with TaxPreparerRegistry.com. If you do not wish to receive such communications from TaxPreparerRegistry.com or from the reputable companies affiliated with TaxPreparerRegistry.com, you can:
1. Opt out of receiving future emailed messages by following the "unsubscribe" instructions at the bottom of any emailed message you receive from TaxPreparerRegistry.com.
2. You can opt out of receiving future emailed messages by deleting your professional listing on the website.
3. Tax preparers who wish to be removed from the directory may do so by sending an email request using the form on the contact page found on this website, contact TaxPreparerRegistry.com's customer service at 516-409-8357, or by writing to the National Directory of Registered Tax Return Preparers & Tax Professionals, Ltd., 2001 Grove Street, Wantagh, NY 11793.
4. If you receive communications from TaxPreparerRegistry.com or third parties selected by TaxPreparerRegistry.com by regular mail, you can opt out of receiving future such communications by contacting TaxPreparerRegistry.com's customer service at 516-409-8357, or by writing to the National Directory of Registered Tax Return Preparers & Tax Professionals, Ltd., 2001 Grove Street, Wantagh, NY 11793.
Please allow ten days for your opt-out election to take effect. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving the types of communications described above, we may still from time to time communicate with you about your account or operation of the website; these communications will not be promotional in nature. For example, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance we might send users an email. You cannot opt out of receiving these communications.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information: TaxPreparerRegistry.com does collect and use some non-personally identifiable, generic information about our users as a means of measuring the effectiveness of our website. TaxPreparerRegistry.com servers identify certain user information in the normal course of operation, but such information does not reveal a user's personal identity. We collect this information only in the aggregate and use it to evaluate and improve our website and to provide targeted information that may be of interest to users of our website. The following are examples of non-personally identifiable generic information.
IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a user's computer whenever that user is using the World Wide Web. Website servers can automatically identify individual computers by their IP address. TaxPreparerRegistry.com collects IP addresses for the purposes of system administration and to report aggregate information. TaxPreparerRegistry.com does not link IP addresses to any personally identifiable information.
Computer Settings: Settings, technical and other information from your computer, such as your operating system, browser version, connectivity, various communication parameters and other information related to the operation and interaction of TaxPreparerRegistry.com website may be collected by TaxPreparerRegistry.com. Except as otherwise provided in this statement, TaxPreparerRegistry.com will use such information solely in order to provide technically appropriate formatting of information provided by TaxPreparerRegistry.com and access to TaxPreparerRegistry.com website. The collection of this information will not include any personally identifiable information about you or any individual user.
Information Provided by Children: TaxPreparerRegistry.com website is not targeted at children and do not collect or use any personally identifiable data from children.
Disclosure Pursuant to Legal Process: TaxPreparerRegistry.com shall, pursuant to applicable law, regulation or legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order, allow access to all available and relevant information in order to comply with such process and protect TaxPreparerRegistry.com's rights and property. TaxPreparerRegistry.com may also allow access to this information in special emergencies where physical safety is at risk.
Other Websites: TaxPreparerRegistry.com is committed to protecting user privacy on all TaxPreparerRegistry.com websites and expects the same from our partners, co-sponsors and suppliers. TaxPreparerRegistry.com, however, is not responsible for the content or the privacy practices of non-TaxPreparerRegistry.com websites, including websites reached through a link on a TaxPreparerRegistry.com website. Other websites may have different privacy policies, or no policy. Users should review the privacy policies of any website before providing personal information.
Should TaxPreparerRegistry.com modify its practices regarding the collection or use of information obtained from users in the future, this privacy statement will be amended to reflect such modifications.